I’ve been a little obsessed with “turkey robots” lately. Some people call them “turkey assemblages.” Or “upcycled turkeys.” Or “steampunk turkeys.” Whatever you call them, they’re out there, and I love them.
I’ve been storing images of some of my favorites on Pinterest and keeping my eye out for parts to make my own.
A few weeks ago, I found an old vegetable steamer in a thrift store.
I bought it, knowing that the flaps on the basket would make perfect turkey feathers.
I also bought this thing. I’m not sure what it is. Maybe a tea strainer? But when I looked at it, I saw a turkey head.
After I got my turkey parts home, I disassembled the steamer and soaked the pieces in vinegar for a few minutes to remove the lime scale.
The bright, shiny aluminum wasn’t working for me, so I slapped a quick coat of brown acrylic craft paint on everything.
Then I smeared Spanish copper Rub ‘n Buff over the paint. (Rub ‘n Buff doesn’t adhere very well to shiny metal; hence the basecoat.)
When the Rub ‘n Buff dried, I buffed the pieces with a soft cloth and started assembling the turkey.
For the feet, I found one of these picture hangers in the hardware stash in my basement. (And then I had to go down to the hardware store to buy a second one.)
They got a basecoat of brown acrylic craft paint, topped with Spanish copper Rub ‘n Buff, too.
The beak was made from an old earring. I just snipped the end of it off.
I found a couple of washers for the eyes.
I put a bolt through the hole on the bottom of the turkey’s head and stacked six nuts on it to act as spacers.
The head was screwed into a hole in the center of the body.
Here’s what the head looks like from the front.
And here’s how it’s attached in the back
After I had the head attached, I hung the feet off the rim of the turkey’s body.
Then I glued on his facial features.
Here he is all done.
Funky Junk | Salvaged Junk Projects
Show & Share | Coastal Charm