With Halloween closing in, I decided to get in the spirit and make a double-double-toil-and-trouble sign.
Here’s what I started with: a thrift store frame I had bought a few years back, thinking it was the perfect size (11 1/2 inches by 36 inches) for a subway sign.
I needed a sign blank, so I stole a piece of plywood from my husband’s stash and then sweet talked him into cutting it on his tablesaw for me.
Once I had the plywood trimmed to fit, I painted it with some black chalk paint I had on hand.
Then I drew up the sign in InDesign. The serif font is Copperplate, and the sans serif ones are all some version of Arial. The smiling skull and crossbones is a (really big) Wingding.
After I had my design, I printed it out, tiling it onto five pages. (My printer added the vertical stripes on its own. Spooky.)
I lined all the pages up, overlapping the words that spilled from one page onto the next.
Then I trimmed off the bottom edge of each page and Scotch taped the pieces together.
In order to transfer the design, I rubbed chalk over the back of the paper.
Then I flipped the page back over, centered it over my sign blank and traced around the letters.
When I had the letters all traced, I held my breath and started peeling the paper away to see if the design transferred.
Except for a couple lines that I missed while tracing, the design transferred perfectly.
Here’s the full sign blank (left) with the chalk outlines and the original printer version.
Once I had my outlines, I just painted inside the lines with some white acrylic paint.
I tried working from the outside in, so I wouldn’t smear the chalk lines while I was painting.