My mailbox has been in a sorry state for quite a while.
Paint was chipping off of both the metal mailbox and the wood post that it sits on.
I finally did something about it this weekend, and I didn’t have to spend a penny. I had all of the necessary supplies (half a can of black satin spray paint; a smidge of leftover white primer and paint from the last time we painted the trim on our deck; and a partial roll of low-tack painter’s tape) in the basement.
After scraping off all the loose paint with a putty knife and giving the pieces a quick wash, I taped off the red flag and silver metal hardware. Then I sprayed the box with a thin coat of black paint.
I didn’t tape off the white post because I was going to paint that as soon as the black dried (and that only took a couple minutes).
The satin finish on the mailbox ended up buttery smooth. Next, I coated the post with some white primer (the old-fashioned way: with a brush) and when that dried, I covered the primer with paint (also the old-fashioned way).
If you’re wondering why the post has holes in it, it’s because it used to be part of my son’s backyard swingset/jungle gym. When he got too old for it and the set started showing its age, my husband disassembled it and reused some of the pieces. I kind of like the holes; they add a little character to the mailbox.
I wanted to paint our house number on the side of the box, so I went inside to create a template in Photoshop. I decided to use Century Gothic and upped the point size until the numbers were 7 inches tall. Width-wise, they just fit on a legal-size sheet of paper.
I rubbed a piece of white chalk across the back of the paper, then positioned the numbers where I wanted them on the mailbox and taped them down.
To get the chalk to transfer onto the mailbox, I outlined the numbers with a sharp pencil.
When I peeled off the tape and paper, the numbers were faint but readable on the side of the box.
Unfortunately, some of the paint peeled off along with the tape. (Grrr.) I decided to fill in the numbers with white paint first and worry about touching up the black later.
I touched up the spots where the tape had removed the black paint by squirting a dab of the spray paint into an empty plastic container, then painting it on with a detail brush. After I wiped off the rest of the chalk dust, the mailbox was ready for action.
Here’s the flag side:
7 Replies to “Makeover | DIY mailbox update”
Looks great! Love the big numbers. Never thought to transfer with chalk, I will have to give that a try sometime.
Looks fabulous! Love the painted on large numbers.
This looks great! I love the black & white with the big numbers. The chalk tip is one I will file away 🙂
Thanks for sharing at Something to Talk About!
Popping over again to thank you for linking up with us at Brag About It this week!
Nice job. Funny how finishing this type of chore just makes you so happy with yourself.
I love the update on your mailbox. And you would never know that you had to do touch-ups!
Lisa, thank you so much for stopping by my blog and for the sweet words about my photography!! The blog is a two-fer for me…doing a little bit of writing and a little bit of photography (my first love)! Have a wonderful day!!
It looks great, Lisa! 🙂