This week’s project — a DIY woven wreath — has been on my to-do list for about a year and a half.
That’s when I dragged this wire frame home from a garage sale. Actually when I dragged it home, it was green, but I forgot to take a “before” picture until after I had spray painted it tan. The reason I painted it? Because I was going to weave some rope around it, and I knew parts of the frame would end up exposed.
The weaving process was pretty straightforward: I went over one wire and under the next, then wrapped around the inside (and outside) wire to start over again.
When I reached the end of the rope, I tucked it into the back of the wreath and glued it down to keep it in place. Then I started with a new piece, keeping the same over-under pattern going.
Here’s what it looked like when I had the entire wreath wrapped.
If you look closely, you can see the wire peeking out in some spots, but since it’s the same color as the sisal rope, it’s hardly noticeable.
Next, I hung a few metal bells from twisted pieces of twine. (I applied a little Mod Podge along the length of the twine to set the twists in place and keep them from unwinding.)
Then I attached the bells and a few trimmings from the bottom of our Christmas tree to the back of the wreath.
I also wired a couple of rusty jingle bells to the top of the evergreen branches …
… and wrapped an old leather strap around the top of the wreath as a hanger.
After Christmas, I figure I will throw out the branches and pack the bells away, but the wreath itself can stay hanging up year round.