I wanted to paint green stripes on the fabric — to match the green pieces of wood under the seat — but I didn’t have the right shade in my paint box, so I attempted a custom mix with what I had on hand: a 10-year-old tester pot of Glidden Willow Leaf, a bottle of Christmassy green craft paint, another bottle of white and a bit of leftover textile medium (to keep the paint from cracking).
I’m not sure if I needed the textile medium (as I don’t plan to put the fabric in the washing machine), but I already had it, so I figured I might as well use it. (Better safe than sorry.)
After mixing the paint, I taped off the center stripe and painted it.
Once the center stripe was dry, I taped off a narrower stripe on each side of it. No measuring done here; the stripes were just eyeballed. (I sure wish the eyeballing method worked better for sewing and woodworking.)
When I was done painting the narrow stripes…
The greens were not a perfect match, but close enough.
After ironing the fabric to heat set the paint and textile medium, I centered the fabric on the foam and centered the foam on the seat.
Then I flipped the stool over and started stapling the fabric and foam to the underside of the seat.
I trimmed off the excess foam and fabric as I stapled. Drop cloth fabric frays like crazy, so I had to be really careful when trimming it.
Luckily I had some Fray Check on hand. I squeezed the Fray Check onto the raw edges as I trimmed the fabric to prevent it from unraveling any more.
Hopefully it holds up.
Here’s a gratuitous shot of Calvin, who was sitting in the driveway about three feet behind me the entire time I was working on this project. He’s a senior citizen these days, so he doesn’t do any hunting or prowling anymore; he just sits and watches me work.
Here’s the finished stool.
It was a pretty simple project that took me less than an hour from start to finish, but it’s a big improvement over what it looked like before.